Finally made it to Kenya!
Thanks to the volcano ash clouds in Europe, our trip was delayed a little longer than expected. We were supposed to fly into Amsterdam, but we were diverted to Paris because of the ash. We spent around 8 hours in the airport, 4 hours of which was in a line. Let me just say, the French do not like Americans, haha. I'm not too fond of them either, they are a little too rude for me. So we get to the receptionist and he spends like an hour trying to find us a way to Kenya. He finally tells us that we can go through Dubai to Kenya, needless to say I was pretty excited to go to Dubai, even if it was just the airport.
The plane ride over to Dubai was legit, the nicest plane I had ever flown on. The food...not so good, but everything else was great. We land in Dubai....it has to be the nicest airport in the world. It's soo big and everyone was so helpful and friendly...I definelty want to go back.
We boarded the plane to Kenya, ate some peanuts, and woke up on this great continent.
Patrick, the driver, was waiting on us when we got there and then we headed to our lodging at Brackenhurt. It was an hour and a half drive and we saw a lot. The traffic was crazy, there are people walking around everywhere. There were little kids who had to be like 6 years old walking around alone in the flooded streets. I really am in culture shock, especially being around other volunteers from Europe. I've never felt so American in my life!
Anyway, were going to a shelter tomorrow and Thursday we are getting placed into our mission assignments. Very excited.
I'm also very tired, so if my writing seems sporadic sorry. I'll try to write back on this before the end of the week, but if not I'll catch up next week.
Until later....
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment